The Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund are financial instruments of the European Union regional policy, which is intended to narrow the development disparities among regions and member states. The funds participate fully, therefore in pursuing the goal of economic, social and territorial cohesion.
In a period 2004 – 2006 of the Structural Funds, the Central Finane and Contracting Agency (CFCA) is the only 2nd level Intermediate Body of the European Regional and Development Fund – the only institution, which straight controls projects co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund.
In a period 2007 – 2013 of the Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund, CFCA performs delegated functions of a Cooperation Body in cooperation with six Responsible Authorities (Ministry of Finance, Ministry of Culture, Ministry of Welfare, Ministry of Transport, Ministry of Environmental protection and Regional Development, Ministry of Health).
CFCA is performing such functions in administration of the Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund as:
- prepare and check documents for implementation of projects;
- sign contracts with the beneficiaries on implementation of projects;
- ensure control of project implementation (review reports of project implementation progress and manage on-spot controls);
- ensure pay-back of funding of the Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund as well as a state budget grants to beneficiaries;
- ensure consultations to the beneficiaries of the Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund;
- report summaries and information about implementation of projects co-financed by the Structural Funds and the Cohesion Fund to the Latvian and European Union institutions.
8.30 - 17.00