Latvian – Swiss Cooperation Programme
The aim of the Latvian – Swiss Cooperation Programme is to adduce financial help to the new countries of European Union in order to reduce economic and social disparities, as so to sustain democratic, social and market – economic reforms to the Eastern – Europe countries.
The Memorandum of Understanding between Swiss Federal Council and European Community about the Swiss financial contribution diverted to the new countries of European Union was signed in February 27, 2006.
The total funding for the programme is one milliard Swiss CHF. Expected funding to Latvia within the framework of this programme is 59, 88 million Swiss CHF.
The Swiss - Latvian cooperation programme is financial assistance mechanism used additionally to financial assistance of the European Union Structural funds and Cohesion fund as well asthe European Economic Area and Norwegian Financial Mechanism.
The Swiss - Latvian cooperation programme gives assistance to projects in following fields:
- Security, stability and support for reforms,
- Environment and infrastructure,
- Promotion of the private sector,
- Human and social development,
- Support to non-governmental organizations.
It is planned that the funding of Swiss Contribution will be used for areas and projects, which are not funded by European Union structural funds, Cohesion Fund or European Economic Area and Norwegian Financial Mechanism. The functions of the Central Finance and Contracting Agency in administration of this programme will be :
- singing the contracts with individual project beneficiaries or intermediate bodies;
- gathering financial and technical information on project implementation;
- supervision and on-spot controls of project implementation.
The contracts on project implementation should be singed till 14 of April 2012, the deadline of payments is 14 of June 2017.
8.30 - 17.00